Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mastery Learning - One week in...

OK.. they don't write like this!
My students write. Every day.

As educators we value what we learn from being reflective. In college I was taught that this was called being a "reflective practitioner." (or as I like to say, "reflective learner") In fact, my professors emphasized this practice so much that I'm pretty sure I used those words in every interview I ever sat down to in the pursuit of a teaching position.

So if we, the teachers, are reflective learners, why not encourage and enable our students to do the same?

I should rephrase my previous statement.

My students reflect on their learning in writing. Every day.


Having my students write is nothing new to my math classroom, but this has been different. The grade my students receive on their assignments places more value on what they got out of the lesson, then on whether they got through the lesson.

This is all part of focusing my students on being worried about mastering what they learn and not just getting through the material.


Last year was the first year of the effort, and the adjustment *we made to it this year has students reflecting on their homework assignment once they have finished it. There has been a bit of a learning curve for the students, which is to be expected, but I'm really excited about how this could help push my students. It's already pushing me and changing how I interact with students. I read their responses every day and return them immediately with feedback when it's needed. It's like having 30 private conversations with my students and no one was privy to its contents. (Listen to that reflective learner talk!)

So, one week into this adjustment to our mastery learning pursuit and I am pleased with the change. If you want to hear more about how *we are pushing, expecting and achieving mastery with our math students, come back again. I will continue posting about the mastery learning experience! 

*My brilliant colleague, Amy Schander, and I are Mastery Learning partners-in-crime. Thus why I say "we" instead of "I" :)

2 comments:

  1. Kira:

    When during class do you typically have your students write? What type of feedback do you give to your students? Do you have a personal conversation, written feedback, or something else that I don't even know about (telepathy?). I'd love to interlope for a period or two one of these days. Thanks for sharing!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff,

    The reflections are part of their assignment. So, students hand in their reflections and homework when they get to class each day. I read through the reflections and make comments on those that express concerns, questions or are just outstanding reflections while they take a 5-minute quiz at the beginning of the period. Sometimes the reflections compel me to have a face-to-face with a student. It just depends.

    It ends up being a major test of management, but the kids and I are getting lots of feedback from each other. I use both the reflections and the daily quiz, which assesses their skill retention, to help determine what/how I'm teaching, and the kids know what I expect and how they are doing in meeting the expectations.

    I know it sounds like a lot, but it actually works OK and I'm not using a ton of class time for it.

    You are more than welcome to come check it out sometime. Just let me know!

    Kira

    PS It also helps that I took an ESP Red Apple class this summer. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete